Wood Picket Fence Installation – Minneapolis St. Paul, MN
If any fence design has almost universal appeal, it is the simple, but charming wooden picket fence. Often used to surround the front yards of homes in many neighborhoods, new and old, these designs are classics. With vertical pickets spaced to allow air and light through, their function is to delineate borders and often to safeguard children and pets and keep them from wandering. Usually less than four feet high, they are a very affordable way to add a homey touch and a friendly welcome to any residential property.
Wood is the traditional material for these designs, and Western Red Cedar is the wood of choice for our cold, snowy climate. Whether they are painted, stained, or simply left to weather gracefully, our fence company in Minnesota gets many requests for these economical, value-enhancing projects.
Picket Fence Designs and Choices
- Height – For front yards, a lower height is usually the best choice with most fences built in 36-42” tall. In some cases, though, especially where larger pets will be in the yard, a 48” height is a good option. For other uses, such as enclosing a backyard or commercial property, heights up to 72” are common where an airy look is the design goal.
- Picket Design – The width of individual pickets can range from 2” to 4” in most designs. Picket tops can be flat, or can be cut to a pointed shape or in decorative designs. Costs are lower when a standard design is chosen, but custom designs can add individuality. Other options include a top rail on the fence or a curved top profile.
- Picket Spacing – The wider the gap between pickets, the less materials are used, but the intended use of the fence is important in deciding on spacing. For safety with children and pets, gaps must be small enough to prevent them from putting their heads in the gap, but large enough to prevent trapping hands or paws. A common choice is to size the gap to match the picket width.
- Gate Choices – For a typical yard, simple gates are custom-built to match the fence design and height, at the same width as walkways. Hinges and latches are available in a wide range of styles, with childproof latches available for additional safety. Easy-open latches allow easy access for gardeners, postal workers and other deliveries.
- DIY or Contractor Installation – Picket fences are a popular project for handy homeowners, and our fence supply store is always happy to supply and deliver materials for your installation. We’ll also help you create a complete materials list from a sketch of your plans. If you prefer, our experienced installers can make the installation for you quickly and efficiently.
- Finishes – The traditional white front yard fence is still very popular, and painting your completed fence is an easy DIY project. Many homeowners, though, prefer to use easy-to-apply stains or let the wood weather gracefully as time passes. We’ll be happy to advise you on finishing products for your completed installation.
Why Choose Western Red Cedar for Your Picket Fence
Many different types of wood have been used to build fences. For Minnesota homes today, though, we recommend using Western Red Cedar. Its natural beauty and color variations enhance your designs. Naturally resistant to moisture, fungi and other weather damage, it helps assure long life and durability. Cedar also ages gracefully, if left unfinished or simply sealed, slowly changing to a silvery gray color. If you choose to paint or stain, cedar accepts common fence finishes very well. The small additional cost of using red cedar for your project is offset by longer life, easy installation and enduring beauty. We purchase very large quantities of red cedar posts, pickets, boards and panels and pass our volume purchasing discounts to our customers.
Top-Rated Fence Supplier and Contractor
In the Minneapolis St. Paul metro area, our fence company is the leader in supplying and installing fences of all types for residential and commercial property owners. Whatever project you’re considering, either do-it-yourself or professionally installed, you won’t find a larger selection of materials or more expertise than at the Twin Cities best-known fence company. One call to us or a visit to our Brooklyn Park showroom is the best way to get started. We’ll show you all of your choices, quote great low prices for materials and installation and answer all of your questions. Our dedication to complete customer satisfaction is your assurance of a completed home improvement project you’ll be proud of and that will enhance your property for decades.